ACTIVITY: Make a Stand Map
Now, Create Your Stand Map:
- Visit Google Earth Pro and create an account.
- Find your property (or a sample property for the purposes of this exercise) and look at historic images over the last several years.
- Visit http://www.gelib.com/soilweb.htm and follow the instructions on that site and in the video above to download a .kml file with soil types, and import this into Google Earth Pro. You should now be able to see soil types overlayed on your property in Google Earth Pro. (NOTE: Read the site carefully and don't click on the big green "START NOW" button at the top of the page - this is an ad that will take you away from the page you want)
- In Google Earth Pro, draw stand boundaries based on the satellite image, soil types, and your knowledge of the woods.
- Calculate the acreage for each stand.
- Share your work with your fellow students!